Saturday, September 01, 2007

Your call is important to us

They say that moving is one of the most stressful things that a person can do. I'm starting to get a handle on why. Even once you compress your life into a series of small, easy to carry boxes, and then unpack these boxes again in a new location, there are a host of frustrations to deal with. The one that is particularly frustrating to me right now is trying to set up my utilities. So far, I have had to be on hold with the electric company, the phone and internet company, two different cable providers, and the people who made my wireless router. I have done a lot of waiting. I waited for 5 hours for my phone and internet to be installed. I waited for 7 hours for dish network to get to my townhouse and tell me that they needed landlord permission to install the dish and that even if I got that, I'd have lousy reception. Then I waited on hold with direct tv because their web site crashed just ask I was trying to schedule that installation. But their computers were down, so I needed to wait by the phone for them to call back sometime the next morning. Then I waited on hold with the Belkin (the people who made my wireless router) technical support. After being on hold for 25 min, a soft spoken person who spoke very little English informed me that all the technicians are busy and that he would take my number and a technician would call me back in about 20 or 25 minutes. Well, it is now an hour later and still no call. Of course, all of this is keeping me from getting to my bank and finding out why it is that the check card that they sent me refuses to work. So, as I write this I'm calling Belkin back on my cell phone, hoping that at some point I will speak to someone who meets two criteria: they speak English and they can help. But I'm not holding my breath.

1 comment:

Ste said...

I've been living in this house for two months and we still don't have everything worked out. I wish you luck! (oh yeah, I've been reading. thought you should know!)